Stable Management Challenge
Sunday, July 15, 2018
The two top scorers in the Written Test in each of the age groups for ages 11 through 21 will be invited to participate in a practical Stable Management test. A list of riders qualifying for this competition will be posted outside of the Show Office on Saturday.
This year’s Stable Management Challenge will consist of a list of scenarios and skills. Each competitor in the Challenge will be asked to answer questions about a particular topic, identify items in a practical situation or demonstrate skills chosen at random from the list below.
The list is being provided so that you may study and be prepared to the best of your ability to respond to the Challenge chosen for you from the list.
1) Know the normal ranges of Temperature, Pulse and Respiration. Describe how to take each vital sign and demonstrate the taking of TPR on a live horse.
2) Standing Wrap and Polo Wrap. Choose appropriate materials from the materials provided, explain the use(s) for each type of wrap and demonstrate the correct application of both a standing wrap and a polo wrap.
3) Safety and Health Check of a Stall. Check a stall carefully to identify safety and health issues. Explain what you find and why it should be remedied for the safety and health of your horse.
4) Halter Fit and Quick Release Knot. Demonstrate how to correctly fit a halter and explain your reasoning. Demonstrate the correct tying of a quick release knot and explain why this is important and what it is used for.
5) Digital Pulse. Explain where and how you take a digital pulse. Demonstrate taking a digital pulse. Explain when you would take a digital pulse and what information it gives you.
6) Saddle Fitting. Explain and demonstrate how to fit a saddle. Explain why correct saddle fit is important.
7) Disease Symptoms and Care. Describe the symptoms and care for either Equine Influenza or Potomac Horse Fever.